Holds Frequently Asked Questions
When you place a hold before logging in, the system asks for your bar code and PIN to authenticate that you are a library patron. This authentication does not log you in. If you click on "My Library Account" after this type of authentication, you'll be asked for your bar code and PIN again in order to log in. To avoid this problem simply log in to your San Mateo County Library eBranch account before placing holds.
You can freeze your holds so they don't become available while you're away. When you come back you can unfreeze your holds and still have your same place in the holds queue.
- Log in to your San Mateo County Library eBranch account.
- From the Online Catalog click the “Your Library Account” link toward the top of the screen.
- Click on the blue "Requests (Holds)" link and you will see a listing of items you have on hold.
- Put a checkmark in the box in the Freeze column at the far right for each item you want to freeze.
- Click on the "Update Selected" button at the left, just above your list of holds.
All holds with a checkmark in the box in the Freeze column are now frozen.
- Access your account and click on the "Requests (Holds)" link.
- Remove the checkmark from the Freeze checkboxes and click on the "Update Selected" button.
Your holds will be unfrozen and active.