San Mateo County Library Wireless Access FAQs
- On your laptop or mobile device, locate the [Your Library Name] Wireless Network to connect.
- Open a browser. You will be presented with a wireless usage policy page.
- Accept to continue. You will be redirected to the SMCL website.
- Decline if you do not wish to connect.
- For more details instructions look at our guide to connect.
Why won’t my apps work when I’m on the library wireless?
Users must accept the Library’s wireless policy in order to connect their device to the wireless connection. Once connected your apps should begin to work.
What do you mean the wireless connection is not secure?
The wireless service is for the public and does not require passwords, certificates, or applications to connect to the library wireless, thus making it not secure. We recommend you not perform any online banking, or other sensitive services, while connected to the library wireless.
Do I need to accept the policy every time I start a new connection?
The policy must be accepted once a day per device. By accepting the policy, it protects both you and the Library by reminding the user the wireless connection is not secure.
I connected to the WiFi network but when I open my browser I don't see a landing page. What is wrong?
Load a website on the Internet, for example, www.yahoo.com, or any website you haven’t been to recently. Sometimes the web browser will cache the user’s home page locally so it won’t attempt to connect to the Internet on start up. The splash page won’t come up if the web browser doesn’t attempt to connect out to the Internet.