Bay Area Bands (and More!)
When I first moved to the Bay Area a few years ago, I was excited that so many great bands are based in San Francisco and Oakland. Whether it’s seeing them in bars, backyards, or in houses, their live shows are super fun and usually wild experiences.
Here are 3 of my favorite Bay Area bands whose music we happen to have in the San Mateo County Library catalog:
Hunx and His Punx
Too Young to Be in Love (Hardly Art, 2011) - Girl group sounds (sung by a boy). The John Waters of the East Bay!
Goodbye Bread (Drag City, 2011) - San Francisco multi-instrumentalist.
Thee Oh Sees
Other Music You Might Like (non-Bay Area)…
- The Black Lips – Arabia Mountain (Vice, 2011)
- Death – For the Whole World to See (Drag City, 2009)
- The King Khan and BBQ Show – Invisible Girl (In the Red, 2009)
- Jay Reatard – Watch Me Fall (Matador, 2009)
- Poly Styrene – Generation Indigo (Future Noise, 2011)
- Times New Viking – Rip It Off (Matador, 2008)
- Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring for My Halo (Matador, 2011)
Karen Choy is the Youth Services Librarian in Half Moon Bay.