The Help Read-Alikes
Since the movie version of The Help debuted in theaters earlier this month, the book (and audiobook) has been more popular than ever. If you haven't read it yet, it's well worth your time. Set in racially divided Jackson, Mississippi during the '60s civil rights movement, The Help is not only a fascinating story about complex characters, it's very well-written.
- Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt (audiobook also available)
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (audiobook also available)
- The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow (audiobook and Playaway editions also available)
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
The NoveList database recommends these read-a-likes:
- The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew
- Freshwater Road by Denise Nicholas
- The Queen of Palmyra by Minrose Gwin (large print edition)
- Right as Rain by Bev Marshall
- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (audiobook also available)
- Night Talk by Elizabeth Cox
- The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (audiobook and Playaway editions also available)
- The Four Corners of the Sky by Michael Malone
- Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (audiobook also available)
What Do You Suggest?
If you have suggestions for what people should read if they liked The Help, please comment below.
Karen Choy is the temporary branch manager at the Brisbane and Atherton Libraries.