Become a Tutor
Share the Gift of Reading and Writing - Volunteer as an Adult Literacy Tutor!Help an adult build literacy skills to participate more at home, at work, and in the community.
- must be 18 years or older.
- do not need to have previous teaching or tutoring experience.
- are willing to spend 2-3 hours per week.
- are willing to commit at least 6 months to the program.
Who can be a volunteer tutor?
We highly value both personal and professional diversity in our tutors because we believe that every individual contributes something unique to their student and to the READS program. We only require that tutors are 18 years or older. We are looking for volunteers who have:
- Confidence, in their own reading and writing skills
- Empathy, flexibility, thoughtfulness, and patience
- A willingness to learn reading and writing strategies
- A collaborative spirit
- A good sense of humor
Does READS require previous experience?
No! We offer a tutor training that provides our tutors with the knowledge and skills they need. These skills will help tutors feel prepared and comfortable to build a positive learner-tutor relationship and to structure weekly lessons in order to support the learner in meeting his or her goals.
How often do I meet with my student?
Our tutors and learners generally meet once or twice a week, for about 1 ½ hours each session, at a library or other community location.
How do I sign-up as a volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out a Volunteer Application or call 650.323.0362 x224 for the East Palo Alto area and 650.726.2316 x4 for the Half Moon Bay area.