Each year the San Mateo County Library issues an annual report that reviews its performance over the past year, provides an overview of the business climate in which it operates, and looks forward to the year ahead.
---------------San Mateo County Library Annual Report 2008-2009 Summary
• Number of service outlets = 12
• Population of the service area = 281,246
• Number of registered borrowers = 169,042
• Borrowers as a percentage of population = 60%
• Annual circulation* = 4,166,905
• Circulation per capita = 14.8
• Number of library visits = 2,370,517
• Visits per capita = 8.4
• Number of public computers = 325
• Percent of self-check usage = 79%
• Number of events offered = 5,302
• Program and Event Attendance = 180,286
• Number of collection volumes = 829,695
*Does not include electronic/digital books or “hits” on electronic databases.
• The new Portola Valley library opened in September.
• A new collection, Playaways (small portable MP3 players that contain the entire contents of an audiobook) debuted and has been very popular.
• Friends of the Library groups contributed over $160,000 helping to pay for collections, homework help centers, children’s programs, special events, and library furnishings.
• The Library also received $385,000 in grants and donations.
• Volunteers contributed over 114,000 of service to help with events, collections maintenance and literacy support.
• 92% of respondents to customer satisfaction surveys rated their overall satisfaction with the Library as good or excellent.
• The Foster City Library Service Improvement Project is on track for a January 2010 reopening of the renovated Foster City Library
Read the full San Mateo County Library Annual Report (link).