March is national Women's History Month when we take time to celebrate the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society. Celebrate some of the amazing women throughout history by learning more about them and the things they accomplished:
- Elizabeth Blackwell became the first woman to earn a medical degree in 1849.
- Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1932.
- Sandra Day O'Connor became the first female Supreme Court Justice in 1981.
- Anne Bradstreet became the first published female American author in 1650.
- Edith Wharton became the first woman to win a pulitzer prize for her novel The Age of Innocence in 1921.
- Kathryn Bigelow became the first woman to win an Academy Award as Best Director for her movie The Hurt Locker in 2010.
Brighid Gonzales is a Brisbane Library intern and library student.