Falling in Love Songs
This might be a backwards way of going about it, but when thinking about love songs I remember what Claudia Rankine wrote in Don’t Let Me Be Lonely:
It’s what we can’t do for each other.”
A Certain Combination
These are songs that balance love (and the need it answers) with everything from self-deprecative wit to arresting vulnerability. Maybe in one of them you’ll find something that plunges you into the distracting immediacy—the promise—of falling in love.
Explore the Playlist
- The Magnetic Fields “The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side”
- Nick Cave “I’m Your Man”
- Flaming Lips “Suddenly Everything Has Changed”
- Band of Horses “ I Go To The Barn Because I Like The”
- Cat Power “Metal Heart”
- Arcade Fire “Ocean of Noise”
- Elvis Costello and the Attractions “I Want You”
- Manu Chao “A Cosa”
- Blonde Redhead “The Dress”
- Leonard Cohen “A Thousand Kisses Deep”
- M. Ward “Let’s Dance”
And if all this leaves you wanting--spend some time with the live version of Leonard intoning "A Thousand Kisses Deep", the poem that inspired the song . . . and then easing into "I'm Your Man".
Carine Risley is celebrating what we can do for one another.