What We Do
READS provides FREE one-on-one tutoring to adults who want to improve their basic reading and writing skills in English. Adult learners meet with their trained volunteer tutor 2 to 3 hours a week in a reliable, safe and caring learning environment. Tutoring services are available in East Palo Alto, Half Moon Bay and the Coastside.
San Mateo County Library READS helps adults and their families improve their reading and writing skills so they are able to achieve their educational, career, and personal life goals. Find out more about becoming a learner.
If you want to...
- Pass the GED Test
- Read a story to your child
- Get a better job or promotion
- Read medicine labels
- Become a US citizen
- Help your child with homework
...we can help.
Literacy skills open doors and allow people to have the opportunity to succeed in school, work and life. You can help by becoming a tutor.
Did you know that...
- 93 million people in the United States struggle to read and write?
- 10.5 million of these adult learners live in California?
- Here in San Mateo County, 15% of those 16 years and older - about 81,000 people - lack basic literacy skills?
Read more about the importance of literacy: ABC’s of Investing in Adult Literacy Education.