Responder al comentario
Do you love the Bookmobile? Have happy memories of visiting one as a kid? Maybe you've always wondered what other methods bring books to people in faraway places.
Books on Wheels, Books on Four Legs
If so, then you'll be interested in this list of books about bookmobiles and other mobile libraries that you can check out from the San Mateo County Library.
There's More Than You Might Think
- The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton. A novel based on the real camel bookmobile service in rural Kenya, in which the road to hell is traveled by a well-meaning American relief worker.
- Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky by Kathi Appelt. A stirring account for both young and older readers of the Depression-era service in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky, illustrated with contemporary photos.
- That Book Woman by Heather Henson. A picture book for the youngest readers with a story about an imaginary pack horse librarian and a boy who learns to read despite himself.
- The Case of the Missing Books: A Mobile Library Mystery by Ian Sansom. The witty first installment in a series about hapless mobile librarian Israel Armstrong and his introduction to Northern Ireland. Not to be missed.
- Mr. Dixon Disappears: A Mobile Library Mystery by Ian Sansom. The second in the series; Israel continues his mis-adventures in Northern Ireland. The local color (or colour) is a real draw here.
- The Book Stops Here: A Mobile Library Mystery by Ian Sansom.Israel Armstrong travels back to his native England with the bookmobile, and finds that the sceptered isle is not all he had dreamed of. But don't stop here-- keep reading.
- The Bad Book Affair: A Mobile Library Mystery, by Ian Sansom. This time Israel is almost run out of town when a local teen turns up missing after he lets her borrow some books from his special Unshelved collection.
- The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. A novel for young adults about a teen-age girl living with her family in a polygamous community in the desert, whose world is expanded when she begins to check out books from the bookmobile.
- My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World, by Margriet Ruurs. A children's book illustrated with colorful photos shows how libraries bring books by camel, boat, bicycle, wheelbarrow, and more.
- Hannah's Bookmobile Christmas by Sally Derby. A picture book in which Mary and her young friend Hannah may have to spend the night in the bookmobile, if they can't make it home through the snow on Christmas Eve.
Vaughn H. works at the Half Moon Bay Library and on the Bookmobile. She holds a B.A. from Swarthmore College. Her reading interests include anthropology, archaeology, mysteries, religion, and travel writing.