Portola Valley Library Annual Poetry Contest
Show Us Your Creative Side
Wednesday, April 1 marks the beginning of the 17th Annual Portola Valley Poetry Contest. The contest is open to all Kindergarten through 12th grade children enrolled in a Portola Valley School, as well as Portola Valley resident children who attend schools elsewhere. Submission materials will be distributed to the schools. Applications will also be available in the library beginning April 1. Last day for submissions is Saturday, April 23 at 5 PM.
A poetry reading and reception will be held in the Portola Valley Community Hall, 765 Portola Road on Monday, May 16, 2016. For K-5 entrants and their friends and family, the event begins at 6:00 pm. For 6– 12 grade entrants and their friends and family, the event begins at 7:30 pm.
- Open to Portola Valley residents or students, Grades K-12.
- Entry must be original work – all forms of poetry will be accepted.
- One entry per person. Individually authored poems only. (No group efforts please.) Maximum length: two pages. Please submit poem on 8.5 x 11” size paper. (Please type or print clearly.)
- Name should appear on entry form ONLY. Entry form must be attached to the BACK of the poem.
- Last day to submit poems: Saturday, April 23, 2016 by 5:00 pm to the Portola Valley Library or by email.
- Winners will be notified by email or phone. There will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and honorable mention winners for each grade level.
1st place prize $30 Kepler’s gift certificate
2nd place prize $20 Kepler’s gift certificate
3rd place prize $10 Kepler’s gift certificate
For more information, contact Kathryn at the Portola Valley Library: 650.851.0560 or by email.
Good luck to all our young poets!
The Poetry Contest is generously funded by the Friends of the Portola Valley Library.