The San Francisco Giants "Read to Win" program provides all San Mateo County Library Summer Reading Progam finishers with prizes and sometimes arranges for players to visit the libraries and read stories to kids.
The following libraries are hosting monthly Lawyers in the Library [link to Event] programs. Anyone can sign up for a free 20 minute consultation with a volunteer lawyer from the San Mateo County Bar Association.
- Belmont Library: First Tuesday of each month, 7-9 PM
- East Palo Alto Library: Second Thursday of each month, 6-8 PM
- Foster City Library: Third Tuesday of each month, 7-9 PM
- Half Moon Bay Library: First Sunday of each month, 11AM - 1PM
- Millbrae Library: Third Wednesday of each month, 5:30 - 7:30 PM
Children (ages 5 and up) can improve their reading skills and make a new friend by reading aloud to a therapy dog. Pet Assisted Therapy teams and their handlers from the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA’s “Paws for Tales” Program will be available at the following libraries:
- Atherton Library: Fourth Saturday of each month, 11 AM - Noon
- Belmont Library: Third Tuesday of each month, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Brisbane Library: Fourth Wednesday of each month, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Foster City Library: First Tuesday of each month, 7 PM - 8 PM
- Half Moon Bay Library: Fourth Tuesday of each month, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
- Pacifica - Sharp Park Library: Fourth Wednesday of each month, 6 PM - 7 PM
- Portola Valley Library: First Saturday of each month, 11 AM - Noon
Come tell a story! The San Mateo County Libraries invite you to ADD YOUR STORY to our collection of "California of the Past" Stories!
California of the Past is supported in whole or in part by a California State Library grant, by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian with services provided by Media Arts Center San Diego
The Art in Action program is a discipline-based, sequential art curriculum designed around the works of the great masters that is taught by classroom teachers and parent volunteers at San Mateo County schools. The following Libraries participate in the Art in Action program by providing wall space to display student art work. Some Libraries also host annual receptions for the artists.
San Mateo County and the Coast2Coast Rx Card are offering a free discount prescription card for all County residents and their families. This card can lower the cost of purchasing prescription drugs and is available at all San Mateo County Libraries.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is the trusted leader dedicated to ending local hunger. Since its inception in 1974, Second Harvest has become one of the largest food banks in the nation, providing food to an average of nearly one quarter of a million people each month. The Food Bank mobilizes individuals, companies and community partners to connect people to the nutritious food they need. More than half of the food distributed is fresh produce. Second Harvest also plays a leading role in promoting federal nutrition programs and educating families on how to make healthier food choices.