User Generated Content
The San Mateo County Library (“SMCL” or the “Library”) has created and maintains www.smcl.org and certain related websites (“SMCL Websites”) in order to make information about its programs, collections and resources available to the public via the internet. The SMCL Websites provide a means for SMCL to communicate information to users, and a limited public forum for on-topic user discussion about books and other library materials, library services and events, and other library-related topics ("on-topic communications”). The Library’s online User Generated Content Policy is as follows:
- All user generated content is reviewed prior to publication and posting. Only on-topic communications will be posted. However, except as indicated below SMCL will not refuse to post on-topic communications based upon content.
- SMCL will refuse to post communications which contain obscene language or sexual content, fighting words, incitement to violence, solicitation or threat to engage in violence or other illegal activities, promotions or solicitations for commercial goods or services, or defamatory language, SMCL encourages user communications to be respectful. They should not contain personal attacks.
- In order to protect privacy, the Library will not publish personally identifiable information such as last names, telephone numbers, addresses, email addresses or photographs. First name, last initial, age and home library branch are the only acceptable pieces of identifying information that may be included.
- Any text, artwork, photographs or intellectual property that may be owned by or under copyright protection afforded to someone other than the posting user should not be submitted. Include a source for quotations (author and/or title). A full "academic" citation is not necessary. Submission of content implies the copyright owner’s permission to publish on the SMCL Websites. Submission of photos implies the copyright owner’s permission to publish on the San Mateo County Library Flickr Photostream. Submission of video implies the copyright owner’s permission to publish on the San Mateo County Library YouTube Channel.
- Do not promote any product or service or any non-library event (examples include self-published and commercial books; poetry readings and other public programs; and editing, tutoring and other professional services).
- Links to external websites will not be published.
- A posted comment is the opinion of the poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement or agreement by the SMCL.
- Users who fail to follow these guidelines will be blocked from submitting content.